Monday, January 21, 2008

Sing, Sing, Celebrate

Yeah, it's cold. It's about six degrees in the sun outside, and if you don't have on gloves, your hands will likely feel as if they were used in an amateur acupuncture experiment.

But today is one of those days where I'm not satisfied with sitting in the office. It's the King Holiday, and there are countless celebrations going on around the country, and at least a few here in the nation's capital. While I usually take comfort in being a cozy, warm, in-house producer and writer, today I'd rather be out talking to the people celebrating, and learning from those who have memories to share.

I've been here before. And I'm noticing a pattern. While fires and court proceedings and celebutante antics don't entice me, moments commemorating history -- particularly, my history -- do. Maybe the yearning comes from not being there 40, 50 years ago. Maybe it comes from only being taught so much while I was still in school. And maybe I'm just simply intrigued -- intrigued by a generation I've only read about.

Or... maybe I just want to be Errin Haines.

So for those braving the bitter, biting cold and desperately trying to warm their hands into order to jot some notes and quotes, rememeber: some of us do envy you.

Labels: ,

continue...

Posted by Veronica Marché at 11:03 AM | link

Read or Post a Comment

errin is good and all that jazz, but what about wanting to be the next veronica?

i'm just sayin....

Posted by Blogger Vandy @ 7:17 PM, January 21, 2008 #
 

Oh, brother. You know what I mean. Lol.

Posted by Blogger Veronica Marché @ 12:04 PM, January 22, 2008 #
 

errin sucks :)

thanks for the shoutout, hon! i can't imagine being off for the king holiday and it is certainly one of the privileges of my career to have covered his birthday celebration for the past three years.

however, for me, the king holiday is to my career what valentine's day is to my love life. i get to write about black history (and specifically the civil rights community) all the time, INCLUDING on the king holiday. so i guess i am pretty darn lucky.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 2:29 PM, February 03, 2008 #
 
<< Home

We'd Like to Know...

Our Favorites

NABJ
Poynter Institute
Journal-isms
Media News
Romenesko
Ask the Recruiter
About the Job
On The Media
Columbia Journalism Review
Howard Kurtz's Media Notes
Eric Deggans
E-Media Tidbits














































































































































































































































































































































































.