Saturday, August 19, 2006

Live From Nap Town, it's the kid who was afraid to flyyyyyyyyyyy!

INDIANAPOLIS, IN -

*walks onto the Indiana Convention Center Stage to the old Arsenio theme song* What's happening, fellow journos?! O.K., so what I've learned so far this week is that fear does indeed drive you. I've talked to at least five newspapers, collected about 10-15 business cards, and I finally hung out with my YBJ and Ten95 folks! So much fun.

As far as my fear of flying, well...I fell asleep. Yes. After crying my eyes out like a baby and sweating like a crackhead Tuesday evening, I got on the plane, chewed gum to keep my ears from popping (good looking out on that advice CNel) and soon as the plane got level...I. TAPPED. OUT. Talk about high comedy. This is right up there with my first trip away from home as a 16 year old as one of the more "What Was I worrying about" moments in my life. Of course, I've still gotta fly back to Philly International 7:10 Sunday morning. Yeah. I'll be praying still.

As far as professionally, everyone has said the same thing; good reporting skills, a little more experience, and work on feature writing. So it looks like they're suggesting internship, which kinda hurts my feelings, but my love for this business is kinda like Tom Cruise jumping on random couches and things, so I'll do what I need to do to carve out my niche and be successful in this business. Side note. Oprah really has lost her blackness. In my family, if you jump on somebody's couch, you better have quick reflexes because you will be ducking jabs and/or belts. I don't care if you're Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, or Tom Ryan (more about that on my own blog, thepostgameshow.blogspot.com).

Well that's all for now, I've got to get ready to enjoy my last full day in Indianapolis, and it's something that I'm really really thankful to have been able to enjoy. So much for that fear of flying.
continue...

Posted by Chris at 11:52 AM | link

Read or Post a Comment

Glad you got over the fear of flying. I use to be in your shoes like that...but I started staying up late the night before my flight to force myself to fall asleep on the plane

Posted by Blogger Sherlon Christie @ 3:11 PM, August 23, 2006 #
 
<< Home

We'd Like to Know...

Our Favorites

NABJ
Poynter Institute
Journal-isms
Media News
Romenesko
Ask the Recruiter
About the Job
On The Media
Columbia Journalism Review
Howard Kurtz's Media Notes
Eric Deggans
E-Media Tidbits














































































































































































































































































































































































.