Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Employed and Miserable to Unemployed and Loving It

Three years ago, I had dreams of working a 9-7 (the new 9-5) job in the online webspace.

Today, I have dreams of waking up after 10am, hitting the beach and enjoying life.

It's been six months since I was laid off, and to be honest, I'm not in a hurry to go back to work full-time.

I busted my ass going to school, working 40+ hours a week, and not having any fun in the process.

I'm extremely grateful for all the things I have accomplished in the last three years.

I was blessed with the opportunity to travel the States, covering everything from the Essence Music Festival to the NBA All-Star game and even the U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials.

But with those opportunities come long hours, lots of stress and not much of a social life.

I'm making half of what I made when I was working full-time and I couldn't be happier.

The LA Times had a great article last week that sums up my feelings towards being young and unemployed.

Funemployment.

No, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth so I have to make my own money freelancing to pay the bills.

But the flexibility of setting my own hours allows me to make up for the last eight years I spent interning in strange cities (no offense, Bristol, CT), dealing with my health issues and working in the competitive Black web space.

How long do I see myself rebelling from "the man" and not working a full-time job?

We shall see.

Till then, surf's up.


continue...

Posted by Vandy at 6:52 PM | link

We'd Like to Know...

Our Favorites

NABJ
Poynter Institute
Journal-isms
Media News
Romenesko
Ask the Recruiter
About the Job
On The Media
Columbia Journalism Review
Howard Kurtz's Media Notes
Eric Deggans
E-Media Tidbits














































































































































































































































































































































































.