Friday, June 05, 2009

What's Next?

June 10, 2006, I was a temp.

June 5, 2009, I am still a temp.

It looks bad when I type it that way, but these first few years of my career in journalism have been quite a ride. "Temp work," for me, is a far cry from filing invoices or typing correspondence. I've been a reporter, editor, fashion writer, broadcaster, urban entertainment correspondent, and assistant to the oldest (and coolest) man in the game -- though not necessarily in that order. My contracts have lasted months, sometimes years at a time. And I worked at some of the biggest names in Washington media before I was old enough to rent a car. (Holla, 25!)

I've been a temp for three years. And I've been blessed.

When we first discussed doing our three-year retrospectives, I hesitated. I don't even remember what my goal was three years ago, aside from landing a permanent job. And I don't know what my goal is now -- I'm convinced that being a temp has given me ADD. But I do know one thing for sure -- I've done some really cool shit.

(Wait, can we say that on the blog?)

I got to walk around Southeast with a community leader. I got to show the innate power of gospel. I went behind the scenes of my alma mater's marching band, and I brought two feminist bloggers on the air to intelligently discuss the first lady.

And that's only been within the last six months. I'm extremely grateful for the opportunity to do it all.

I'm doubly grateful, actually, because for all the things I've been blessed with as a temp, stability has never been one of them. Maybe that's what the current flux of the industry really hasn't shaken me -- I'm always in a state of flux myself. Every three months or so, I find myself asking, "Okay... What's next?"

This time around, it's something that has nothing to do with journalism but everything thing to do with my personal pursuits. I'm making plans to eventually attend design school. Am I changing careers? I don't know. Am I trying to broaden my knowledge as a journalist? Not intentionally. The only motivation here is me and my personal dreams -- going to school for something I've always dreamed of since I was a kid. Now's a good a time as any to explore what else life has to offer.

And after that?

Well... I guess we'll find out in another three years.
continue...

Posted by Veronica Marché at 10:45 AM | link

We'd Like to Know...

Our Favorites

NABJ
Poynter Institute
Journal-isms
Media News
Romenesko
Ask the Recruiter
About the Job
On The Media
Columbia Journalism Review
Howard Kurtz's Media Notes
Eric Deggans
E-Media Tidbits














































































































































































































































































































































































.