Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Thank you, Ann Scales

Ann Scales looked at me like I had two heads.

And I've never been the same since.

She was at the Boston Globe, manning a table for her employer at UNITY in 2004. I was a sad-looking college student with no clips, no internships and no prospects. I did work at the school paper and all Ann was trying to figure out was how I expected to get an internship with no clips. That was around the time she tilted her head to the side. She opened her mouth, her dark lipstick parting ways in utter disbelief, and looked at my heads. Both of them.

I took a trip to the printer.

As it was, my clips revealed that I was not ready for the Globe. She didn't need to be Joe Sullivan (the Globe's sports editor) to figure that out. She knew that I needed to know a few people. That I should keep in touch with someone named Paula. And that I should keep writing. And reading.

How things have changed in four years. I've got a job and some experience. Ann, as far as I could tell, was not there, certainly not representing the Globe, having recently taken a buyout there. I've since published several dozen stories in the Boston Globe, my hometown paper. I'm proud of many of them.

My awakening happened last week in Chicago. One recruiter at UNITY stood up, greeted me by name, shook my hand and asked if I brought my stuff for them to update their files. Of course I did.

Then it dawned on me.

I never once thanked Ann.

Until now.
continue...

Posted by Darren Sands at 1:45 AM | link

Read or Post a Comment

Darren,

I happened to be tooling around on the Internet tonight and found your post. Suffice it to say that I was moved to tears. I am gratified to know that I played a bit part in your career. I am so proud of you.
Keep up the good work.
I left the newspaper business, but work as a director of communications at the Boston Public Health Commission, Look me up. You can reach me at ascales@bphc.org.
Keep up the good work. No, go out there and set the world on fire.
Best,
Ann

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 9:01 PM, September 19, 2008 #
 
<< Home

We'd Like to Know...

Our Favorites

NABJ
Poynter Institute
Journal-isms
Media News
Romenesko
Ask the Recruiter
About the Job
On The Media
Columbia Journalism Review
Howard Kurtz's Media Notes
Eric Deggans
E-Media Tidbits














































































































































































































































































































































































.