Thursday, July 05, 2007

Vandy Is an (Insert Derogatory Term Here)

I wake up every morning and instead of checking my e-mail first, I head over to my blog, Everybody Hates Marcus, and I read such comments like:

To tell you the truth Marcus, your blog is a joke. I find it weird that I find black news covered better and in more of a timely manner on other blogs than a blog that is focused on African Americans. TMZ, Perez Hilton, etc should not be posting African American content faster than you (or if you post it at all!). I mean damn...you are lucky to get 20 posts per entry. I get more posts on my own blog that just started a few weeks ago! Step your game up, the African American market is huge and you are clearly not using it effectively.

Or if the readers are feeling extra feisty, I will get this:

marcus ummmm... keep suckin dick since u came out the closet n all. talk shows aint all that but the one thing nobody can stand are haters keep ya personal issues bout people 2 ya self or stop being a bitch n say wat u gotta say 2 her directly instead of to everyone else.

Who needs coffee when you have some stranger telling you to keep sucking dick?

Welcome to my world.

When I signed up to do the blog, I had no idea the readers would be this cutthroat.

Yes, I can tend to be a ... how would you say it ... asshole at times, but the need for thick skin is an understatement to say the least. A question I get asked a lot by my friends is how do I deal with the comments? I would be lying if I said it didn't get to me just a bit. And it takes a lot for me to actually delete a comment - they really have to say something just over the top and vulgar for me to erase it because I'm all for free speech unlike some folks (Smile).

If I'm going to talk trash about Tyra Banks and how bad her talk show is, the least I can do is read the comments of the Tyra supporters ... right?

It's only fair.

Deep down inside, I think a part of me likes the hate. When you grow up idolizing this man and one of your favorite books is 'I Love Being The Enemy,' you can't help but to laugh at the ability to work folks into a frenzy using just your words.

Like Nas says, "My poetry is deep - I never fail."
continue...

Posted by Vandy at 8:00 PM | link

Read or Post a Comment

I crack up every time I read the comments on your blog, Marcus...mostly because most of the comments are so convoluted that they had to have come from a person who couldn't pass English to save their own life or an eight year old who's just learning how to cuss...Keep ya head up, my brotha...

Posted by Blogger Aaron Morrison @ 11:47 PM, July 05, 2007 #
 

Let them hate.

What I find funny (when I do read the comments -- can't do it too often) is the genuine hate these people have for you. They think you're this expletive and that expletive, that you're dumb and a horrible jerk, yet, they read your blog. And, its funny because they've got a good chunk of you wrong. Some of it they got right, lol, but you are actually pretty decent in real life.

Like they say in every major newsroom I've been in: "You're not doing your job if someone isn't mad."

Let them hate.

Posted by Blogger T Dot @ 3:40 PM, July 06, 2007 #
 
<< Home

We'd Like to Know...

Our Favorites

NABJ
Poynter Institute
Journal-isms
Media News
Romenesko
Ask the Recruiter
About the Job
On The Media
Columbia Journalism Review
Howard Kurtz's Media Notes
Eric Deggans
E-Media Tidbits














































































































































































































































































































































































.