Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Blue? Red? What's Gonna Happen?!

My opponent, Talia Buford, is a great journalist, but I just don't agree with her views.

Oh god. Politi-speak has gotten to me.

I wanted to stay at work today. I'm a dork, I know. But this is my first election day on the clock, and the buzz of the newsroom excited me. Phones ringing. Reporters voicing spots from the field. Dot matrix printers running amok.

Yes. Dot matrix printers.

The thing with working with a national newsroom is that there's information pouring in from all over the place. People in Vermont are concerned about the war. Texans are taking border control into consideration. And South Dakota is poised to take center stage on the abortion debate.

I've loved these past few days, probably because I haven't had to talk to mind-numbing politicos. (I'm sorry, T-Dot.) For me, it's a numbers and analysis game. What the polls are saying, what's at stake. And with the potential for a political coup (not mention more scandal than a little bit), these last few days have been nothing less than captivating for me.

But I'd have to wait for election returns at home. (But not before thoroughly discussing the demise of B-Fed... yeah, me too, T.) My shift was over at 7. And to my slight disappointment, the newsroom wasn't in such a disarray that my help was desparately needed.

Nah, I work with professionals. They got this. So now I'm sitting on my couch listening to NPR, half-watching CNN. What happens tonight determines what I write about tomorrow. Which, my boss has assured me, will be much more interesting than sticking around tonight.

So I don't know. We'll see.

All I know is that this is the first time I really wish I was at work.
continue...

Posted by Veronica Marché at 10:04 PM | link

We'd Like to Know...

Our Favorites

NABJ
Poynter Institute
Journal-isms
Media News
Romenesko
Ask the Recruiter
About the Job
On The Media
Columbia Journalism Review
Howard Kurtz's Media Notes
Eric Deggans
E-Media Tidbits














































































































































































































































































































































































.