Friday, April 04, 2008

Damn, if he didn't just take the words right out of my mouth!

For you journalism students out there:

If I ever meet this kid, I'm buying him a beer and a shot of Jameson. He's said everything I've ever wanted to say about j-school. You'll just have to read it...

But here's a snippet of what Sean Blanda wrote...something that I've come to realize, as I get ready to graduate from j-school:

Any change must come from the students. Change costs money and insulating yourself from it doesn’t. And considering the industry doesn’t know which way is up, does it make financial sense to invest in something you don’t know will be there tomorrow? I am not defending this mindset, as I think it’s the plague of any entrenched institution. But I can understand why a college would be the slowest body to change. Any innovation is going to come from the bottom up, and not the top down.

Many professors know that they have to adjust the curriculum to help the students, but they are several years (sometimes decades) removed from the newsroom and job search. I had a teacher say “You guys should learn this new stuff, I won’t have to, of course, because I’m on my way out.” (Then he may or may not of cackled and ran off).

I would venture that the majority of professors are introduced to new technologies by the students, not the other way around.

Preach on, my "brotha!"

Read the full blog post here.

Labels: , ,

continue...

Posted by Aaron Morrison at 5:35 PM | link

Read or Post a Comment

Thanks for the kind words.

And, only if that shot is followed by some Jack.

Posted by Blogger Blanda @ 7:46 PM, April 04, 2008 #
 
<< Home

We'd Like to Know...

Our Favorites

NABJ
Poynter Institute
Journal-isms
Media News
Romenesko
Ask the Recruiter
About the Job
On The Media
Columbia Journalism Review
Howard Kurtz's Media Notes
Eric Deggans
E-Media Tidbits














































































































































































































































































































































































.