Monday, August 20, 2007

From the mouths of babes

Patrick righted himself on the seat next to me on the caboose of an Amtrak train bound for Boston. "Look," he says, while he points and stares. "Look at that crane."

"Wow, that's a big one," I say.

Yeah, that's a big one, he repeated.

"Look at the bridge," says Patrick.

"Wow, there are a lot of cars on that bridge," I say.

Yeah, there's a lot of cars on that bridge, he repeated.

Patrick could not tell me when his birthday was, but I guess if I told him, he could repeat it. Mom said he turned three at the beginning of July. This toddler was going on 33. He disappeared and came back with a present, and his signature opening.

"Look," he exclaimed proudly. "I got the newspaper." It was the weekend edition of USA Today.

He opened it -- albeit upside down -- and feigned wonder and excitement and curiosity at the day's news.

"Patrick, how do you know what the newspaper is?" He looked at me blankly.

"Who taught you that this is a newspaper?" I couldn't wait to share this story with the managing editor at my paper.

"It's a newspaper!!!" he said with a huge smile and giggle.

"So who taught you that?"

"I did."

Of course.
continue...

Posted by Darren Sands at 12:26 AM | link

We'd Like to Know...

Our Favorites

NABJ
Poynter Institute
Journal-isms
Media News
Romenesko
Ask the Recruiter
About the Job
On The Media
Columbia Journalism Review
Howard Kurtz's Media Notes
Eric Deggans
E-Media Tidbits














































































































































































































































































































































































.