Thursday, October 05, 2006

I Can't Get This Pressure Point Out of my head...

"I feel it at work, you know I feel it in bed, I can't get this pressure point out my head." Alright enough of The Zutons, I haven't lifted my voice and sung for a minute because this whole senior year business is stressful. For one, even though I have four classes, they all pretty much suck. And apparently if I want to graduate, I need to redo my senior edit and add a couple of classes in the spring so I can get the alloted credits under my belt. Hooray for struggles.

You know, if I didn't love journalism with the passion of a couple who's been together 40 years and still doing their regular three times a week love-in, I'd really wonder if this whole college deal was worth it. Clearly you can't be a journalist without a journalism degree, college newspaper experience, freelance articles and internships be damned. The degree part of your resume at least keeps it from becoming immediate recycling paper, so I shall press on. But a little bit of background as to why I'm under so much pressure. I'm a career student. Totally and truthfully.

After a hard summer of getting a geometry credit so I could graduate high school in 1999, I enrolled at Delaware Technical & Community College as an Office Management major. Yeah, the crack I was smoking had to be some strong stuff. After two fruitless years going to school five minutes from home, I decided to take the plunge and head on down Route 13 to Delaware State University.

Five years later, I'm finally a senior and finally close enough to the point where I can say I'm a graduating senior. However, I'm already off to a bad start this semester, and I'm not sure what it's going to take for me to right the ship. Bottom line, almost eight years in some sort of collegiate setting is entirely too much. I've got to go. So I'm going to redo my senior edit next week to try and prevent my heart from being broken in December.

There's pressure to graduate, pressure to get a job, pressure to be happy, just pressure all over the place.

"Doctor, oh Doctor, I'm begging you please, can you help me cure this disease? I can't get this pressure point out of my head...I feel it at work, you know I feel it in bed...."
continue...

Posted by Chris at 4:25 PM | link

Read or Post a Comment

at some point you've gotta relax. not to the point where you stop working toward anything, but don't allow your looking forward stress you out right now.

Posted by Blogger Jameil @ 1:45 AM, October 15, 2006 #
 

I feel you on this:
"The degree part of your resume at least keeps it from becoming immediate recycling paper, so I shall press on."

My mind shot to one of them old gospel songs where the guy recites a conversation:
Woman: You still holding on?
Man: Yes, ma'am I'm still holding on.
Woman: Well keep on keepin on.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 8:25 PM, October 17, 2006 #
 
<< Home

We'd Like to Know...

Our Favorites

NABJ
Poynter Institute
Journal-isms
Media News
Romenesko
Ask the Recruiter
About the Job
On The Media
Columbia Journalism Review
Howard Kurtz's Media Notes
Eric Deggans
E-Media Tidbits














































































































































































































































































































































































.